There is no substitute for experience. For over 23 years, Catalina Design Group has provided comprehensive Corporate and Commercial Interior Design for over 480 projects throughout the West Coast.
We take pride in our designs that show up in all our projects. We have amazing design teams who are passionate about Interior Design. Let us show you how “We Create Lifestyle”.
“Once customers start to think of you as a partner, they begin to exclude your competitors from the equation.”
“Your smile is your logo. Your personality is your business card. How you leave others feeling after having an interaction with you becomes your trademark.”
1. What is the most important aspects of your department? Communication and listening to clients needs.
2. What does true leadership mean to you? True leadership is someone never too busy to connect and maintain a solid relationship with their team!
3. What are 3 traits that define you professionally? Outgoing, Kind, Honest
4. What is the most rewarding part of your job? The most rewarding part of sales is the time spent with customers.
5. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time? Spending time with my family, playing tennis and running on the beach.
1. What are some key components to running a successful marketing campaign? Communication and setting specific, measurable goals.
2. What do you like most about your job? I like that each day is a new learning experience.
3. What are 3 important things that you need to be successful in your role? Determination, adaptability, and attention to detail.
4. What is something about you that people may not know? I know how to take care of hummingbirds. It is one of the most challenging things I have learned this year—it requires a lot of patience.
5. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time? I like to read, try new foods, visit new places, and surround myself with positive people.
1. What are some key components to running a successful marketing campaign? Relativity, reach, and reactivity—a successful marketing campaign results when content directly relevant to your target market reaches the largest specific aim of contacts within your industry.
2. What is the most important aspect to your department? Creativity. The ability to adjust to the current real estate market and appeal to potential clients by outside-of-the-box thinking is crucial.
3. What is the most challenging aspect of your job? Scheduling with developers. We prepare for the unexpected due to the construction industry’s uncertainty and consentient pushes in deadline dates.
4. How do you decide what to blog about? Our content approach is to answer our client’s biggest questions by delivering relevant and versatile value to their developing projects.
5. How do you define success in 3 words? Dedication, passion, and return on investment. If you have these 3 components, you will ultimately have the drive, the ability, and the math for success.
1. I am most creative when…? When I can spread out all of my options and make a [temporary] mess, I am the most creative. Seeing the paint colors, fabrics, magazine clippings or whatever it might be, out in front of me helps to get my creative juices flowing. I can then go through the process of elimination a lot easier and quicker until I get the vision just right.
2. What is the most important aspect of interior design? Working together is such an important aspect of interior design. Just like writers getting “writers block”, sometimes we get stuck! An alternative idea from another designer can be the quick fix to get us back on track and ultimately make for an even cooler space! Sharing those ideas and collaborating with one another is essential to making your design the best it can possibly be.
3. What is the most challenging aspect of your job? With design comes varying opinions. Once you’ve put your heart and soul into things, and personally like what you’ve worked on, sometimes those opinions aren’t easy to hear. I’d say having to not take opinions personally is always challenging.
4. What inspires you? Honestly, Pinterest always inspires me! It has opened my mind up to so many different styles that I otherwise may have not thought to work with or explore on my own. The creative inspiration is endless; we are so lucky to have such a vast source of ideas right at our fingertips!
5. What is the most rewarding part of your job? Having my passion as my career is the most rewarding part of my job. I have wanted to be a designer for as long as TLC’s “Trading Spaces” has been around…so, to flash forward a decade and be doing just that, with the best people, while loving every minute of it, is pretty much a dream come true.
1. I am most creative when…? I am doing what I love to do. My ideas come quicker and I have no hesitation when sketching an idea or detail to get my creative juices flowing.
2. What is the most important aspect of interior design? The ability to make every space I design unique and with a sense of place. I have to be able to clearly tell a story about how the interior is going to come together with all the design elements complementing each other.
3. What has been your favorite project to design and why? 750 East Capitol in Milpitas. It was one of the first projects I was able to create from start to finish. Seeing this project through and completing my first spec package was a great accomplishment.
4. What is the most challenging aspect of your job? The details! Details should not be obvious, but they should be right to enhance the overall feel of a space. Drawing details is challenging because I have to research sizes and dimensions to be as accurate as possible.
5. My personal professional motto is…? “Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.” -Salvador Dali
1. I am most creative when…? I grab my notepad and begin bringing a project’s floor plans to life through sketches and perspectives. Not only does this help me visualize the spaces and solve design challenges…. It’s just good old fashioned fun.
2. What is the most important aspect of interior design? A beautifully designed project truly considers the end user and how they will interact with the environment every day. Great design goes beyond the pure functionality of the space; it also takes into consideration elements like scale, proportion, texture and volume to create a positive and memorable experience for the client.
3. What is the key to keeping clients satisfied? Thinking outside of the box and providing unique designs all while staying within budget will guarantee a happy client. Also, open communication between all team members and anticipating a client’s needs ahead of time will help a project run smoothly.
4. What is the most challenging aspect of your job? Timing is everything! Projects can take years to build and install. Quite often we’re required to re-select discontinued items. Finding great alternatives that preserve the original character of the design can be a challenge, but always pays off.
5. If you could do another job for just one day, what would it be? I’ve always wanted to try out my skills as an underground DJ.
1. I am most creative when…? I am given the gift of time and working in a team environment. It is nice to collaborate with other designers to create a more unique design.
2. My signature design trick is…? Less is more. Sometimes by removing one element, it makes the design stand out, and everything comes into balance.
3. What is the key to keeping clients satisfied? Having a positive attitude and good communication.
4. My design pet peeve is…? My design pet peeves are backorders and the words “Out of Stock”.
5. If you could do another job for just one day, what would it be? A movie set designer.
1. I am most creative when…? When we are given a new project and the design possibilities are endless.
2. What’s the most important aspect of interior design? To provide the client with a space that is unique and functional. Mixing textured fabrics, adding visually interesting objects and elements of surprise are key to making a space memorable.
3. What is the most rewarding part of your job? Walking into a project and seeing it come alive after you’ve been working on it.
4. My design pet peeve is…? When all the elements of a space are too matchy-matchy.
5. If you could do another job for just one day, what would it be? Work as an archeologist.
1. I am most creative when…? I’m collaborating with a group of designers. The ability to bounce ideas off one another and receive unique perspectives brings out my most innovative ideas.
2. What is the most important aspect of interior design? Movement—how the eye naturally flows throughout the space, as well as how one physically moves about the space.
3. What has been your favorite project to design and why? A progressive, high-rise, multi-family complex. We were able to experiment with innovative amenity spaces and create a unique atmosphere.
4. How do you approach the early planning stages of a project? Always make a list! If you have everything that needs to be completed organized in one place, you won’t miss a thing!
5. What’s the most unusual thing in your desk drawer? A 2lbs. jar of peanut butter. The perfect addition to any snack!
1. I am most creative when…? Music is involved. Whether it’s the actual environment or the one created from amazing headphones.
2. What is the most important aspect of interior design? Creating Functional Beauty. I firmly believe just as form does not follow function but rather can co-exist seamlessly in architecture; so can it in interior spaces.
3. My design pet peeve is…? Spaces designed arbitrarily; those that force awkward layouts and disrupt the flow and cohesiveness of the space. Also, duplicated ideas – Originality is rare and powerful.
4. What inspires you? Nearly Everything! There is inspiration in the way trees form that can help solve counterbalancing a cool design element (Nature). There is inspiration in the story behind a structure that may further the future design (History). There is inspiration in that random sketch on a napkin at dinner (Life). To me, inspiration can be found in nearly anything. It’s all a matter of perspective.
5. What is the most rewarding part of your job? When a project is complete and you are able to stand inside of your sketches which have manifested into something beautiful that both you and the client are proud of.
1. What is the most important aspect of Interior Design? Design should be a balance between form and function. It is making the best use of the available space. If a space functions well and looks beautiful at the same time the design is successful.
2. My signature design trick is…? To always have high contrast to add drama. A room should start a conversation before people actually start exchanging words.
3. What inspires you? Twice a year I get to go to the Vegas Furniture Market and the Hospitality Design Show. Being able to see new designs, products and trends before they hit the market is very inspiring. Also, interior trends and colors follow Fashion; paying attention to new clothing design inspires me in developing new color pallets.
4. How do you approach the early planning stages of a project? Study the architecture of the building and its colors and textures. This inspires the color palate and use of materials. After that I assess the demographics of the area. A project’s design aesthetic will reflect the lives of the people that will be living in these spaces.
5. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time? Taking my dog Khaleesi to the dog park and game night with friends. Also, painting! I am an artist. I paint and draw in my spare time.
1. What are the most important aspects of your department? Financial preparation, reporting, budgeting, and project management. I use these tools on a daily basis to become successful in my department.
2. What does true leadership mean to you? Leadership is the art of leading others to deliberately create a result that wouldn’t have happened otherwise.
3. What are 3 traits that define you professionally? Passion, patience, and communication.
4. What is the most rewarding part of your job? Being Operations Manager I wear many hats, but I have to say, seeing a project all the way through is very satisfying. You see the job come from images on paper, to this beautiful installed project. There is this sense of accomplishment that you helped create that.
5. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time? I enjoy spending time with my husband and my 2 children. Also, running whenever I can squeeze it in because it helps me clear my mind.
1. What are some key components to running a successful interior design company? Strong management to map an effective plan and creative staff to successfully execute strategy with innovative design.
2. What is the most important aspect of Chief Executive Officer? Continuously monitoring the real estate market to outperform competition and deliver the highest return on investment to our clients.
3. What is the secret to your professional success? Create a calculated plan through detailed research. Delegate the plan to a diligent team. Exceed the client’s expectations.
4. My personal professional motto is…? Productivity is the result of a commitment to excellence, smart planning, and focused effort.
5. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time? Enjoying anything outdoors, skiing, snowmobiling, scuba diving, Crossfit, car racing and travel.
1. How do you keep your staff motivated? I keep my staff motivated by always listening to their point of view, and treating them fairly with respect and trust. I have always had an open door policy so people can come talk to me whenever they need to. Also I like to have our office be a fun environment since we are a creative team.
2. What are 3 traits that define you professionally? Confidence (with myself and my team), positive attitude, and I am highly organized.
3. What is the most important aspect of interior design? Balance of scale, color, and having a “Wow!” factor.
4. What is your secret to your business/professional success? The secret to my business/professional success has been the relationship with our clients. It is so important to not only keep our clients happy, but to listen to what they want.
5. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time? I enjoy being with my family (husband and two kids, Ellie and James). I also enjoy working out because it clears my mind, releases stress, and is so positive in so many ways.